25 Jul 2011

Govt-KESC management talks remain deadlocked

Sacked employees of KESC gather outside the office during a protest in Karachi.—AFP/File photo
KARACHI: Talks between the government and KESC management remained deadlocked till late on Monday night as the latter was not ready to budge from its stated position on the Voluntary Separation Scheme (VSS) and other issues, forcing the utility`s workers to resume their sit-in and once again converge on its headquarters and Fowara Chowk in protest against the management`s decision to sack 4,500 employees.
The meeting was called by Sindh Governor Ishratul Ibad, who had given an assurance to KESC union leaders last week that their problems would be solved by Monday.
The union leaders said they could not wait indefinitely and would take a decision according to the situation, adding that the onus would be on the management. CBA chairman Aqhlaq Ahmad told Dawn after midnight that the authorities had sought more time. He said that for larger goals “we are prepared to concede that and hope that there will be a positive outcome”.
Intense negotiations with the KESC management continued at the Governor`s House till the filing of this report. The union leaders waited anxiously at the Commissioner`s House as the July 25 deadline given by the governor passed without any outcome.
The management`s arrogance was also noted by the government as the former refused to move forward from its stated position of not taking back those employees who were placed in the surplus pool after being declared non-core employees and offered the VSS.
Even the perseverance of the governor, Home Minister Manzoor Wassan and PPP`s provincial Secretary General Taj Haider did not help in persuading the KESC management to budge from their rigid position on the controversial VSS, payment of stalled salary and the issue of terminated employees during almost three months of protest and brinkmanship with the management.

No comments:

Post a Comment